Friday, December 18, 2009

Frost on the Pumpkin


Have you ever walked away from the perfect garden picture without realizing it? I almost did last weekend when we had air temperatures above 32°F and ground temperatures below 32°F. As mist fell, it condensed onto the pumpkins that I hadn’t gotten around to removing from the porch steps.

Initially, there was just a faint film. But as the sun set and temperatures continued to drop, sparkling crystals began to form. By 9:00pm, all four pumpkins were completely covered, as if set with crystalline gemstones.

I walked past this perfect picture several times before it finally dawned on me that this was the first time I had seen something like this in the thirty-odd years I’ve lived here. How soon was I likely to see it again?

Unfortunately, this was not the moment to learn how to take a time exposure in the dark, so the flash had to do.

Lessons learned: We can’t be too tired, too cold, or too anything else not to run and get the camera and snap when the opportunity presents itself. We might not get another chance.

5 comments:

Jim/ArtofGardening said...

Cool. Very sparkly. "frost on the pumpkin" sounds like a euphemism for someone with gray hair. I myself have frost on the old pumpkin.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Those are some pretty pumpkins. It almost looks like they're wearing glitter.

Melody said...

Sugar dusted pumpkins - sounds like a great picture - and a great dessert:)

Di said...

The pumpkins do look as though they have been dipped in sugar.

healingmagichands said...

I love glitter! Getting frost to shine like that is a real trick, I have been playing with that all week here as we are covered in ice and snow. It is harder than it looks, actually, so I commend you for a great image.

How many times have we heard "The frost is on the pumpkin" and yet we never see it, do we? Very cool photo.