Why I Garden


My friend Mary Ann Newcomer at Gardens of the Wild Wild West (formerly Idaho Gardener) is running a contest on why people garden http://www.gardensofthewildwildwest.com/index.php/2009/11/08/why-i-garden-a-contest/ . This one is right up my alley, since I’ve been giving serious thought to how and why people garden for the past five years. But enough about them. Here’s why I garden:

  • Because it reconnects me to the natural world,
  • Because I understand The Transformational Power of Gardening (http://loisdevries.blogspot.com/2007/08/transformational-power-of-gardening.html) ,
  • Because it cultivates my inner gardener (http://cultivatingtheinnergardener.blogspot.com),
  • Because it helps me extend the lives, by however small an increment, of the other sentient beings who share this space,
  • Because it enables me to enjoy the company of wildlife pets,
  • Because flowers perfume the air,
  • Because the colors please my eye,
  • Because it gives me a means of expressing my creativity and penchant for good design,
  • Because it provides a space to display pottery and sculpture,
  • Because it offers an acceptable means of exercise,
  • Because it gets me outdoors,
  • Because every new sprout and flower bud still excites me,
  • Because gardening renews my spirit,
  • And because Spring reminds me that there is always new life after “death.”


Popular posts from this blog

Musings on the Relativity of Time and The Arithmetic of Overpopulation

Please Garden Responsibly. Because What You Spray in Your Garden Doesn’t Stay in Your Garden

Arbors: Style and Placement